Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) is one of the best download managers currently available. Apart from accelerating your download speeds, it can also manage your downloads, organize downloaded files, check downloaded files for viruses and malware, pause and resume downloads, segmented downloading, integrate into popular web browsers (Firefox, IE, opera and so on) and more.
Although the software is advertised with catchy phrases such as “400% download speed increases”, DAP can only increase the download speed as much as your connection bandwidth permits. However as most web browser’s default download managers do not utilize maximum connection speed, DAP is a very useful software to have. If you run this on a network which uses a shared network connection (say a LAN in a university or workplace), you could screw all other users and take all the bandwidth for yourself (which is evil btw).
If you don’t like DAP, you might want to try Orbit Downloader (specially if you want to download embedded videos from sites such as YouTube) and Free Download Manager (FDM – a simple, free and powerful application).
Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) will accelerate the speed with which you can receive files over the Internet using FTP and HTTP protocols by simultaneously downloading several file segments from the same or different servers. Download Accelerator Plus enables you to pause and resume downloads, and to recover from a dropped Internet connection. In addition, DAP searches for mirrors and implements the downloads from the best or most responsive mirrors. It is configured by default to automatically Integrate into your Explorer or Netscape browser when it is installed, and to self-activate each time a download is performed.
- Extreme Acceleration
- Mirror search to find fastest download site
- Resume broken downloads
- Preview multi-media files while downloading
- Preview and extract zip files while downloading
- File Shredding to eliminate files you don't need
- Clean download traces from your computer
- Management of passwords for download sites
- Ignore list of download URLs & domains
- Lock, hide and protect downloads with Private
- Be alerted when starting to download a file you
- Central downloads manager
- Filter for sorting downloads by type and status
- Completed tab to view and run downloaded files
- Save files in central folder (so they don't get lost)
- Up to 20 simultaneous downloads
- Managing files after download completion
- Categorized download folders
- Download in background, without any download screens