Videolan have just released version 0.9.2 (codenamed Grishenko) of VLC Media Player. This is a major upgrade over existing v0.8.X builds and integrates many new features including support for many new input and output formats, security enhancements, and interface tweaks.
VLC is right up there on my favorite media players list. Hell I even carry a portable version of it on my flash drive. It's not bloated, comes complete with all the decoders (no need to install codecs separately) and can play almost every shit you throw at it. If you use your computer to play media files, VLC Media Player is a must have.
New in V0.9 builds (Obtained from VideoLAN Wiki)
A new interface module based on the Qt toolkit has been added to VLC. This new interface module has a few improvements on the old one:
- Simplified settings and dialogs
- Media library integration
- Album art displaying and metadata editing
- Live activation of Video and audio filters
- Basic encoding profiles
- Multiple start modes (classic, enhanced and minimalist)
- System tray icon and minimizing
- Fullscreen controller
- And many other improvements and bug-fixes.
The playlist has been improved in many ways, in addition to the new Media Library (very simple so far, but will be extended in the future):
- Live Searching in the playlist,
- Youtube, Dailymotion, Google Video and similar services URL can be scripted in VLC to play directly those URLs,
- last.fm submission support,
- Album art support,
- Better metadata tagging reading and writing support for audio files.
- A lot of new decoders, demuxers, and protocols have been added.
- There are new codecs support, like Flash video variants, camcorder codecs (M2TS ones), Dirac, Atrac3, H.264 PAFF, APE audio, RealVideo, VC-3, Fraps and others, but also better decoding and better performance. Many thanks to the FFmpeg project which can take most of the credit for these improvements.
- There are improvements in the demuxers and new supports (subtitles format rework with many new formats, Tivo2, OMA, MIDI support...).
- Tag supports of audio files have vastly been improved(fix of APE, AAC, OGG tags,...)
- This version also supports DVB windows devices (BDA), iSight Webcams, v4l2 on Linux and many other ones.
Many new audio and video filters have been added:
- New video filters like puzzle game, color extracting, sharpen, logo erasing, blue-screen and more have been added.
- New audio filters have introduced Replay Gain support, Faster/Slower audio playback with pitch correction and a spatializer.
- Most video filters can now be streamed.
- libVLC has been rewritten and split and supports externally built plugins
- VLCKit, a Mac OS X Framework, enables external developers to develop applications around VLC.
- New bindings can be found on the wiki and the forums
- A new update system, more secured, was developed for this release.
- New localizations in Finnish, Persian, Polish, Punjabi, Bulgarian have joined the old ones.
For release notes see here.
This program is free. You can download it directly from VCL official servers.
[Click Here] to download VLC Media Player 0.9.2 for Windows directly from VideoLan Servers.
Since the app is just released, VideoLan's servers are being pounded with many download requests. As a consequence they may go offline/slow down once in a while. That's what bittorrent is for. Simply download the torrent if you can't get VLC from the official link posted above.