Here is a nice piece of software which I’m sure students and professionals in scientific, engineering and mathematical fields will find useful. Data and function visualization, visualizing and analyzing graphs, formula manipulation and optimization and report generation are just a few of the functions Mathematica is capable of. As of 11/12/2008, v7.0 is the latest available version of Mathematica.
If you're doing anything technical, think Mathematica--not just for computation, but for modeling, simulation, visualization, development, documentation, and deployment.
Why Mathematica? Because this one integrated system delivers unprecedented workflow, coherence, reliability, and innovation. Rather than different toolkits for different jobs, Mathematica has been built ground-up over nearly 20 years to deliver one vision: the ultimate technical application and environment.
The following is a summarized feature set obtained from Wikipedia. For a detailed explanation of full capabilities of this software, please visit this page.
- Libraries of elementary and special mathematical functions
- 2D and 3D data and function visualization tools
- Matrix and data manipulation tools including support for sparse arrays
- Solvers for systems of equations, ODEs, PDEs, DAEs, DDEs and recurrence relations
- Numeric and symbolic tools for discrete and continuous calculus
- Multivariate statistics libraries
- Constrained and unconstrained local and global optimization
- A programming language supporting procedural, functional and object oriented constructs
- A toolkit for adding user interfaces to calculations and applications
- Tools for image processing
- Tools for visualizing and analysing graphs
- Data mining tools such as cluster analysis, sequence alignment and pattern matching
- Libraries of number theory functions
- Continuous and discrete integral transforms
- Import and export filters for data, images, video, sound, CAD, GIS, document and biomedical formats
- A collection of databases of mathematical, scientific, and socio-economic information (see below)
- Support for complex number, arbitrary precision and symbolic computation for all functions
- Notebook interface for review and re-use of previous inputs and outputs including graphics and text annotations
- Technical word processing including formula editing
Read comments for more information.