Metro 2003, another popular PC game has made it to the masses. Although nothing revolutionary, Metro 2033 seems to be a pretty decent First Person Shooter (FPS) with good looking graphics. The system requirements seem to be a little steep but then again almost every game that comes out nowadays ask for similar specs. Anyways lots of people seem to be having crashing issues with the game – if you look in gaming forums it looks as if the game is full of CTD, black screen issues, freezes and so on. However, most of these errors can easily be avoided if all components required by the game are properly installed. Below is a list of issues you may encounter with Metro 2033 and a list of solutions that might work should you run into any of the problems described.
Note: This is a work in progress. More fixes will be added hereas they are discovered.
How to fix random crashes, freeze at loading screen, etc
There are quite a few things you need to have installed in order to run Metro 2033 crash free. Thankfully, all of the components you need are included with the game. Browse to the game’s installation folder and install everything inside the install folder:
- Install DirectX - Navigate to THQ\Metro 2033\install\DirectX and run DXSETUP.exe
- Install Visual C++ Runtime – Navigate to THQ\Metro 2033\install\ and run vcredist_x86_sp1_atl_4053.exe
- Install PhysX System Software – Navigate to THQ\Metro 2033\install\ and run PhysX_10.02.22_9.10.0222_SystemSoftware.exe
It’s important that you have PhysX installed. If you still experience crashes with PhysX installed, it is recommended that you uninstall the existing version and reinstall the version that comes bundled with the game (Step 3 above). Note that you need to have the PhysX libraries installed even if you own an ATI video card.
A note on DirectX 11 mode - If you are on Windows Vista and thinking of running the game in DX11 mode, it’s strongly recommended you upgrade to Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and run Windows Update to get the latest patches.
Black screen at startup, crashing on intro movie, can only hear sound but no video, etc
There can be several causes for black screen at startup and other similar issues. Several possible fixes are listed below.
- If you are running on a dual monitor setup, please unplug the secondary monitor before launching the game.
- If you managed to run the game once (and if it fails to load after the first run), delete the user.cfg file located in the game’s installation directory and try running the game.
How to fix FOV related issues
Hard core FPS gamers might find this game’s FOV (Field of Vision) settings to be undesirable. Make the following adjustments to make it more playable:
- Go to the user.cfg file located at X:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033
- Edit it with a text editor such as Notepad
- Find the value called: sick_fov 45.
- Change this value to sick_fov 90. (including the period at the end)
- Save and close the file. Now start the game.
Note – This fix was taken from NFOHump forums and was first posted by user Radicalus.
How to fix x3daudio1_7.dll not found error
This is most probably a DirectX issue. A fresh installation of DirectX (included in game’s installation dir) should solve this issue for good.
If you liked this article do not forget to subscribe to our RSS feed. We bring you the latest BitTorrent news, private torrent tracker updates, leaks, downloads and more.
You can also follow us on Twitter.