Few years ago, there was this unofficial rule on the internet regarding UseNet; you don’t talk about UseNet. However, this has recently changed with some indexers publicly advertising on file sharing blogs, forums, etc. The increased publicity has not only resulted in many pirates adopting to UseNet technology but it has also diverted the attention of copyright lawyers who seemingly have only one intention; bringing UseNet down. Recently, there has been several court cases filed in various countries against Usenet indexers and this series of events has eventually lead to the closure of Newzbin - as reported by TorrentFreak, Newzbin shut down its operations after a court ruled it’s operations were against the law. But have we truly seen the end of world’s largest Usenet indexer? We think not.

Quoted below is part of a mass email sent to previous NewsBin account holders:

Good news: we are Newzbin Two, and we have glad tidings:

NEWZBIN IS BACK! and we are the new management. The crew got most of the original Newzbin source code and the main databases. We loved it too much to let it die.

According to Newzbin’s Ex- owner Caesium’ Chris Elsworth, their source code is indeed leaked and is in the wild:

The Newzbin source code *is* in the wild. Someone has it. I don’t know who, and I don’t know what they’re going to do with it, and I don’t really much care. Best of luck to them, it won’t be competing with anything I choose to do in future.

Don’t ask me to share the Newzbin source with you, it is not mine to share. Control of Newzbin Ltd was transferred away from me (because I sold it. not by force) in January 2010 and with it, all my rights to the source code and servers etc etc. Whoever obtained it didn’t get it through me – how did they get it? I don’t know.

You can read more of his comments (and more Newbin gossip) on this blog.

As of right now Newsbin Two has not gone live yet. Whether it will be named differently or what it’s new URL will be is currently not known. It’s likely that these information will also be made public through another mass E-mail directed at all Ex-NewsBin users. Either way, this just sends another message to the copyright industry – whenever a large file sharing site gets taken down, several others spawn to take it’s place - The hydra effect is not only limited to BitTorrent trackers.


5 Comments

  1. Unknown // 5/22/2010 09:01:00 AM  

    Having been a Usenetizen for about 15 years, I can attest to the "Don't talk about Usenet" unspoken rule. You used to have to be a bonafide geek to even know of it's existance. Sadly, the same thing that made it about 100 times easier to use (.nzb files) has led to a lot of publicity and indiscretions. I'm think I see the handwriting on the wall about it's future, and it's not good.

  2. Unknown // 5/22/2010 12:18:00 PM  

    I fear you are absolutely right Tim.The end is nigh.I'm a mere newbie at 10 years but it was great fun while it lasted and I think with luck and switching ISP we may get a couple more years yet. I bet the judge from the Newzbin trial went straight home and started downloading though. His summing up makes a briliant how to guide for new users.

  3. Unknown // 5/22/2010 01:47:00 PM  

    It's too bad about Usenets. I've never been a user (something about paying-to-pirate always seemed an ironic concept to me lol) but I've always considered it to be a good option, especially when BT started taking serious heat.
    Sadly though, I do agree that the end of days is near for you guys. I'm sure Usenet will linger around in some vestigial form but I feel the nzb distribution model has become antiquated and will have to be succeeded by a new and different model. In the meantime, BT will continue to serve its purpose so keep an eye out for those open signups! ;)

  4. Unknown // 5/23/2010 02:56:00 AM  

    Usenet is far from dead. You guys act like Newzbin WAS the usenet. It may have been the largest indexer out there but there are plenty of alternatives. Usenet is still as strong as it ever was.

  5. Anonymous // 5/25/2010 05:28:00 AM  

    yeah tards dont get all chicken little on us