Video game violence has always been a controversial subject. This topic has attracted so much attention during the recent times and has prompted publishers to release games with toned down blood and gore in some countries. It looks as if the developers of F.E.A.R. 2 : Project Origin too did something similar. Several country specific, localized FEAR 2 versions seem to be void of violent animations and artwork. This post discusses how you can enable blood and gore in these censored versions of FEAR 2.

F.E.A.R. 2 Blood Violence Gore

The workaround described in this article involves replacing a game settings file (LayerA.Arch01) using an unrestricted version of the same file found in FEAR 2 Demo installation (which had full blood/gore effects).

  1. Download the unrestricted LayerL.Arch01 file from this torrent. (if you have the FEAR 2 Demo installed, simply copy the LayerA.Arch01 file from there). 
  2. Now browse to your FEAR 2 installation directory and replace the current LayerL.Arch01 using the one that you just downloaded.
  3. Launch the game. You should now have a new option to turn on/off blood and gore from the in game menu. 

The method described above works on both legitimately purchased versions of FEAR 2 as well as pirated (cracked) copies of the game. Anyway FEAR without gore is pretty gay. Enable gore using this hack and shoot at the gas tank on one of those flame thrower enemies you meet in Level 2. Shit will hit the fan!

For detailed information on how gore works in FEAR 2, see this IGN article.

Related Articles


6 Comments

  1. Mike wazowski // 2/13/2009 09:05:00 AM  

    It isnt LayerA.Arch01 you have to replace to enable gore. It is LayerL.Arch01 thats need to be replaced with the one from the demo, and then go to game options and "full violence" option will be selectable.

    Think it a little bit, youre replacing LayerA.Arch01 (450 MB) from full game, to this torrent file LayerA.Arch01 (1 KB). Dont you think the game will miss something in those 450 MB?

  2. Y-Tor-D // 2/13/2009 03:28:00 PM  

    Hey, my game doesnt launch -ctd- if I dont disable my sound card (realtek high definition onboard) or play in safe mode (without sound). I remember you had a problem too with the demo's sound. I use die's release.

    What's goin on with the game?

  3. TEAM FILEnetworks // 2/13/2009 03:38:00 PM  

    wazowski,
    We had linked to the correct file but there was a typo in the article. This has now been corrected. Thanks for pointing it out and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

  4. TEAM FILEnetworks // 2/13/2009 04:38:00 PM  

    Y-Tor-D,
    replied in the other thread:
    http://filenetworks.blogspot.com/2009/02/solutions-for-fear-2-project-origin.html

  5. Creative Theory // 2/22/2009 11:02:00 AM  

    I downloaded LayerA.Arch01 and replaced that as the original instructions stated. I foolishly didn't save the original version and now I only have the "demo" version.

  6. Davyboy4NoW // 3/06/2009 04:11:00 PM  

    I was trying like crazy to get this working on my FEAR2 installation, and I was expecting there to be a "blood and gore" option in the game settings once this flile was replaced with the original, but I hadn't realised that it was just the "Full Violence" tab that was the one to enable blood and gore!! So I figured it wasn't working for me, because I have had the full violence tab in my game settings menu since I first installed the game... I am just about to play it for the first time today, I sure hope it plays as good as it looks in the magazines I have saw it in!!! I loved the first FEAR game, so this should be good I would imagine!!!