With all the hype about ‘largest game world in a console game’ I expected Fuel to be somewhat of a special game. I’ve played it for several hours and got to say it got a little repetitive after a while. And personally I feel that the game’s physics system could have been improved. Anyways it’s still a fun game and seems to be a hit among racing fans judging by the number of downloads on BitTorrent networks :p. This is a quick post outlining a few fixes for some of the most common problems associated with Fuel for the PC platform.

Codemasters Fuel PC Cover

I get a ‘Save Failed! Would You Like To Try Again?’ error whenever trying to save the game. How do I solve this?

Sometimes you might encounter a ‘Save Failed’ error whenever you try to save progress. You can get rid of this error by repeatedly pressing the save button and the game will display “Save Successful’ message. However when you try to load the savegame, you’ll notice that your progress is lost and you’ll have to start over from scratch. I don’t know if this will work for you but here is how I got it sorted. I was running Kaspersky Anti Virus in the background and when I ran the game with real time protection paused, saves seemed to work fine. Try doing the same for your security software – worth a try.

Also note that Fuel is Games For Windows Live (GFWL) game which I believe handless the save game files storage for specific profiles. So you could try reinstalling GFWL as well. If you messed up with any of the game files (replaced them with cracked or original files), try creating a GFWL offline account and starting from scratch under that account (you might want to consider a reinstall of the game if it doesn't work the first time).

How do I enable VSync in Fuel?

If you want to enable Vertical Synchronization (VSync) in Fuel, you’ll notice that the in game menu lacks this particular option. It could be a real bummer because some users tend to experience tearing issues without VSync. To enable VSync for fuel try the following:

  1. Download the latest version of RivaTuner from here.
  2. Use RivaTuner’s d3doverrider to force VSync (d3doverrider is the utlity with DirectX logo – hover mouse pointer over it and the tooltip will show).

How do I enable Anti-Aliasing in Fuel?

Even if you do enable/force Anti Aliasing in Fuel, there does not seem to be any visible changes in graphics quality. I am yet to find a solution for this problem. Will update if I come across anything new.


5 Comments

  1. Anonymous // 7/05/2009 01:22:00 AM  

    If you use an Nvidia card, you can force Vsync through Nvidia control panel along with anti-aliasing, anisoptric filtering, etc.

  2. Lightning_Struck_Tower // 7/05/2009 01:29:00 AM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. Lightning_Struck_Tower // 7/05/2009 01:33:00 AM  

    Marx Engels Lenin,
    Force VSync though NVIDIA control panel didn't seem to work when I tried it. That's why I mentioned the RivaTuner method which did the job. Maybe it just happened to me.

    Anyway thanks for your input.

  4. Unknown // 7/30/2009 11:31:00 AM  

    help please

    I've recently downloaded the game and i can say its a great game..but i've got a problem..when my vehicle crashes into something it is supposed to respawn,,but my game closes giving an error message 'Cannot read from the disc'..what could be the problem..any helps from the pros..

  5. Anonymous // 2/20/2011 03:57:00 PM  

    Hello!
    Anti aliasing can be used in FUEL:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1763540
    It's also really easy to use it.
    Best wishes!