When it comes to public torrent indexers, there are only a handful sites that can rival KickAssTorrents. KAT, which rose to popularity after the shut down of Mininova, has constantly been improving their operations not only by adding hundreds of new torrents daily but also by introducing tons of usability features quote frequently. It hasn’t been two months since we talked about KAT’s latest improvements and add-ons in a blog post and they’ve gone on and launched the public beta of KickAssTorrents 2.0. Needless to say this is a major milestone for the BitTorrent indexer and KAT 2.0 has so many new features that it took site staff three blogs posts to cover the whole list :p It was interesting to note that some of new additions and changes were ‘social features’ – hell, now there’s even a Facebook like ‘wall’ on KickAssTorrents user pages.
A summarized list of all KickAssTorrents 2.0 features is provided below:
- Friends – One of the social features in v2.0. You can now add other KAT members as your friends.
- The Wall – Users now have a Facebook like wall where they can leave updates. Others can comment or reply to these.
- New design – KAT now sports an even more polished look with a new site redesign.
- EZTV and Limetorrents integration – Both these groups have teamed up with KAT so you can now download their latest releases directly from KickAssTorrents itself. EZTV is a leading TV show indexer.
- Comments subscription – You can now subscribes to a particular comments thread. This is very useful if you want to stay up to date on discussions.
- Google account support – Aside from Facebook connect, KAT now supports login to the site using a Google account.
- Revamped ‘Search Trends’ and ‘People’ page.
- Search enhancements - Tabbed search, movies and TV auto recognition and more
- Multi language support – KAT now supports 11 languages other than English. More will be added soon, with the help of existing members.
- Messages – Messages are no longer limited to the forums. They can now be sent to any user who’s on KAT.
- Improved FAQ
- Idea box – now you can communicate your feedback on using the site to the administrators directly.
- New forums (http://www.kickasstorrents.com/community/) and social groups (http://www.kickasstorrents.com/community/socialgroups/)
- Numerous bugfixes including fixes for cross browser issues
- Other minor usability features
You can read full details of all features (along with some screenshots) in KickAssTorrents blog posts located here, here and here. For a list of new features added prior to KAT v2.0, please refer to this post.
While most in the BitTorrent community would welcome KAT’s improvements with open arms, this wouldn’t be such good news for anti piracy companies. A torrent site which they helped grow (by shutting down Mininova) is taking things to the next level – let’s hope they don’t try and take KAT down.
[Click Here] to visit KickassTorrents homepage