I’ve been using Nokia OVI suite to connect my Nokia N86 8MP mobile device to the PC for quite some time. Since I had not updated OVI suite in a while and the app had been complaining about new versions being available, today I let the built in auto updater run. After the update was completed and system was restarted, I ran into a strange problem. The phone was not getting detected properly in either OVI suite or PC Suite. Initially OVI suite gave the error message ‘Please change the USB mode on your phone’ (or something like that) and wanted me to switch the connectivity mode to ‘PC Suite’. Problem was that it was already set to PC suite mode. Then I tried removing the device from OVI suite and re-adding it but the results were far worse this time.
Now the phone was not getting detected properly at all – OVI suite identified it as ‘S60 Handset’ and kept complaining about a connection made with an unsupported USB mode. PC Suite did not seem to recognize the phone as well. However I could browse the device’s internal memory as well as memory card contents using ‘Portable Devices’ section on Windows' 7’s my computer. After searching online for a solution (and having found that nothing seemed to work in my case) i decided to try a simple fix which had helped me resolve a similar issue with a different, older phone model – reinstalling the Nokia connectivity cable driver. After I reinstalled the cable driver and re-connected the mobile device to PC, it installed all the drivers for my phone model from scratch and everything returned to normal :)
Note that I ran into this bug after updating from an older version of OVI suite to the latest version (v18.104.22.168 with connectivity driver 22.214.171.124) on a Windows 7 operating system. If you run into a similar issue – here are step by step instructions on how to reinstall the connectivity cable driver.
- Disconnect your phone from PC if connected.
- Open Control Panel and go to ‘Programs and Features’
- From the list of available programs, choose ‘Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver’
- Click on the ‘Change’ button on top toolbar.
- In the setup dialog box that pops up next, choose ‘Repair’ and select ok. Wait for setup to complete.
- Restart the computer if prompted.
- Now connect your phone to the PC. Driver installation should complete and both OVI suite and PC suite (hopefully) should detect your mobile properly now.