This was quite an annoying error that wasted around 30 mins of my time today when i tried to connect my Nokia mobile to PC using CA-53 data cable. When i tried to connect the phone for the first time after updating PC suite, it gave me "Cannot install USB Phone parent" and "Fatal error during installation" error messages. A bit of Googling and i found out that the PC suite version i had installed at that time (6.86) was a little retarded and apparently the cable driver that came with it did not support CA-53.
Tried various suggestions on Nokia forums including removing all Nokia software in the system, cleaning registry and then installing version 7 of PC suite only to be greeted with the same error message. Here is what i did to get rid of this problem (It's pretty shorter than most methods mentioned; some of which even suggested using devcon to clean the system).
- Remove you mobile device from the PC if connected.
- Uninstall any older versions of PC suite and install the latest version. [Link]. Don't connect the phone just yet.
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder.
- Locate the file WDF01000 and make a backup of it.
- Now delete WDF01000 from System32\Drivers folder.
- Launch PC suite and connect your phone. Installation should complete.