Note/Update: To update NOD32 version 3.0 and ESET Smart Security version 3.0, see this article. This post only applies to version 2.70.39 and below.Here is some good news for NOD32 users who are tired of getting their keys blacklisted. If you follow the method described below, you will no longer be needing a key to update your copy of NOD32 (and this works with trial versions). The process does not involve cracking or doing any sort of modifications to NOD32 core files.
Before you read further, note that this method will only works for NOD32 2.70.39 and versions below that. This will not on ESET Smart Security 3.0 or NOD32 3.0 versions. If you were wondering, there is no difference between version 2.70.39 and version 3.0 in terms of detection capabilities. If you are inspired by fancy user interfaces, then 3.0 will appeal to you. Otherwise 2.70.39 is more than enough.
1. Get hold of a copy of NOD32 version 2.70.39. Official web page at www.eset.com no longer offers this version so you may have to search various torrent sites.
2. If the torrent you downloaded comes with a patch or a fix, DO NOT APLLY it. Just install the standard NOD32 program with trial options.
3. Once the install is done and reboot is completed, double click the tray icon to launch NOD32 control center.
4. In Control Center, Go to Update ---> Update. Click on Setup
6. Click on the "Servers" Button. Click add.
7. A dialog box will pop up. Enter http://nod32.nohack.cn and press ok.
8. Press ok again to close the "Servers" window.
9. You will have the "Setup of Automatic Updates" window still open. From there set the newly entered server. (choose http://nod32.nohack.cn from the drop down menu near "Location").
10. Press ok. You should now be able to update NOD32 without issues. The server which you just entered does not validate usernames or passwords so there will be no fear of trial expirations or keys getting blacklisted.
What happens here is that you are downloading updates from a 3rd party update server based in China instead from ESETs servers which require authentication. According to our experience this server is secure. If you are having doubts, you can compare its legitimacy with ESET server using NOD32View tool and see for yourself.
If you find that the 3rd party update server is not responding, feel free to drop a comment here. We may be able to provide you with another server address.