Mcafee has released the latest version of their corporate antivirus software; VirusScan enterprise. If you are a frequent visitor to this blog, you might remember our post about VSE 8.0i. 8.5i is even more advanced that 8.0i and features several different protection mechanisms never before seen in an AntiVirus product. ViruScan Enterprise 8.5i contains a combination of AntiVirus, Firewall and IPS features which turns it into a complete security solution. Of course this doesn't feature a star-glittering, lamer oriented, resource consuming, bloated interface as in Norton Antivirus, but don't let the looks fool you. At the heart of VirusScan enterprise 8.5i runs the Mcafee's 5100 series scanning engine which is capable of decimating more that 21000 security threats (including spyware, adware and rootkit detection) in a wide range of categories. And it doesn't occupy half the system RAM as most major security software occupy.
New in Version 8.5i:
-5100 Series Scan Engine
- Incremental engine component updates. Allows engine components to be updated without updating the entire engine. The engine version, displayed in the VirusScan Enterprise "About" dialog box, shows both the engine series and the latest incremental
- Ability to use different sets of detection definition (DAT) files at the same time. For example, the engine can access the
anti-virus, buffer overflow, and access protection DAT files simultaneously. This provides more efficient scanning and
detection of threats.
- Detection of rootkits in memory. The on-demand scanner can be configured to scan system memory for installed rootkits. Rootkits conceal running processes and files or system data, and are a
threat if an intruder uses the rootkit to maintain access to a system without the user’s knowledge.
- Enhanced Access Protection. This feature prevents unwanted changes by restricting access to specified ports,files and folders, shares, registry keys and values.The rules have been enhanced to expand exclusion capability and provide better protection.
- Protection levels. When you install the product, you choose whether to enable "Standard Protection" or "Maximum Protection"
rules as the default.
- Enhanced On Access Spyware and Adware detection with AntiSpyware Enterprise Module.
Combine Mcafee ViruScan enterprise 8.5i with Windows Firewall and say goodbye to any other security applications on your PC. With this one around, your ass is well covered.
Read comments for more information.