Ever since this blog's launch, we've been recommending users to use Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise as their primary security software. But time has now come to change that. There is a new king of he hill; NOD32 from ESET.
First of all, let us justify our decision to recommend NOD32 over Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise (VSE):
1. Since the introduction of Mcafee 5000.194 scan engine, ActiveShield service may sometimes consume up to 45MB of physical memory, making it a resource hog. NOD32 on the other hand is very light on system resources and features faster scan times. NOD32 Resident scanner wont consume more than 20MB of RAM most of the time.
2. NOD32 gets access to new virus signature files faster than Mcafee. Its average threat response time has been hovering over the 2 hour mark for a long time (Source: CNET).
3. NOD32 features an out-of-this-world heuristics detection engine. This allows the scanner to stop viruses even before signature files are released.
Now let's have a detailed look on NOD32.
NOD32 Antivirus System provides well balanced, state-of-the-art protection against threats endangering your PC and enterprise systems running various platforms from Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT / 2000 / 2003 / XP / Vista, through a number of UNIX/Linux, Novell, MS DOS operating systems to Microsoft Exchange Server, Lotus Domino and other mail servers.
Users of Microsoft® Windows® can experience the power and elegance of NOD32's ThreatSense Technology with ease and comfort. NOD32's single optimized engine offers the best protection from viruses, spyware, adware, phishing attacks, and more. Keep tomorrow's threats at bay with NOD32 proactive detection technology. And it has the smallest footprint and fastest performance - bar none.
The fourth generation of the NOD32 Antivirus System features a fully integrated software suite characterized by an unprecedented detection track record, the fastest scanning rates and extremely low utilization of system resources. NOD32's detection efficiency combined with 2-50 times faster hard disk scanning rate earned the product many international prestigious awards.
- ThreatSense™ technology — a single optimized anti-threat engine for analyzing code to identify malicious behavior, such as viruses, spyware, adware, phishing and more
- Unprecedented heuristic analysis capable of discovering new malware threats as they emerge
- Powerful virtual PC emulation technology enables unpacking and decryption of all types of archives and run-time packing
- Able to clean active malware running in memory
- Protects at multiple infiltration points, including HTTP, POP3, SMTP and all local and removable media
- Removes infections from files that are locked for writing (e.g., loaded DLL file)
- Prevents infected files from being opened and executed, and warns on creation of infected files
- Automatic execution on system startup
- Supports multiple Terminal Server environments
- Supports scanning of mapped network disks
Read comments for more information.