Pretty much all of us download TV shows and movies from the internet (let it be from file sharing sites such as BitTorrent trackers, direct download link forums or even by a legitimate means) and store them on our desktops, laptops, portable hard drives or media player PCs. However, most of the downloaded files have different kinds of naming conventions – for example, some shows have merely the season and episode numbers while some others carry episode name as well. What if you want to rename all your media files to a standard you like? Manually doing this for each file would be a tedious task (think about a show with several seasons). The is where theRenamer comes in. It’s an excellent utility that helps you automatically rename your media files. And it’s not just a batch rename tool either; give theRenamer a file (or a set of files) which just has the episode and season number and the app will automatically fetch the episode name online and rename the file accordingly.
You can fully customize the way your video files are renamed. Under default settings, theRenamer will strip off release group name and video quality details in file and add the episode name if its missing. theRenamer is able to fetch media information from four different online sources; IMDB, TV.com, TheTVDB and EPGuides.com. Below are some examples of renamed files (using default settings, without changing anything in the app after a fresh install):
|The.Simpsons.S22E01.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION||The Simpsons.S22E01.Elementary School Musical|
|The.Big.Bang.Theory.S04E19.PROPER. HDTV.XviD-LD||The Big Bang Theory.S04E19.The Zarnecki Incursion|
|frasier.622-med||Frasier.S06E22.Visions of Daphne|
Usage of theRenamer is very simple. To rename a file, all you have to do is the drag and drop and the app will do the rest. If you are dealing with multiple files, simply select all and drag them in – this tool is able to perform batch operations and will reformat all your file names in a couple of seconds.
A full list of theRenamer features can be found below (quoted from official site page):
- A user interface that's idiot proof - using Drag & Drop.
- Fuzzy Logic sorts out the Show name, Season/Episode numbers (S1E1, 1x1 or 101 formats).
- Queries the most advanced search engine – Google
- Automatically grabs the official show name and episode titles from the most comprehensive movie database on the web - IMDb.com, TV.com, theTVDB.com and EPGUIDES.com.
- Database: Simple and automatic table for keeping track of TV website's ID number.
- Force show names: Lets you customize how the Show Name is named (if you prefer shorter names).
- Fetch Folder: Scans all files in that directory. Point it to your 'Download Complete' folder. For people who are
too lazy to Drag & Drop.....I love it :)
- Auto Move: Automatically moves files to your TV Show Archive after it's renamed.
- Fully automate the entire rename and move process with parameter (theRenamer.exe -fetch and -fetchmovie)
- MOVIES! theRenamer now supports Movie files as well.
- Auto creates IMDb shortcut link to IMDb movie webpage.
Despite being an excellent utility, like all software out there this is not a perfect application. I got an “EPISODE TITLE MISSING” error for some files I tried to rename – this bug is apparently fixed now but I still got the error in the latest build (v7.5). Either way it’s just a minor annoyance and the fact remains this is a highly useful tool for anyone who downloads shows and movies online.
[Click Here] to download the latest version of theRenamer from official page