VLC Media player is known as 'the thing that plays everything, and it's not false. It will play every multimedia file format which you can find on the net. It even plays KVCD images on the fly. Above all, it is highly customizable and feature rich. The fact that it being an open source project helps these aspects greatly.
- Ability to play the video content of incomplete, unfinished, or damaged video downloads before the files have been fully downloaded. For example, files simultaneously downloading through BitTorrent or eMule.
- Ability to use libcdio to access .iso files so that the user can play files on a disk image, even if the user's operating system does not have the capability of working directly with .iso images.
- VLC supports all codecs and all file formats supported by FFmpeg. This means that DVD Video and MPEG-4 playback as well as support for Ogg and Matroska (MKV) file formats work "out of the box".
- VLC media player has some filters that can distort, rotate, split, deinterlace, mirror videos, create display walls, or add a logo. It can also produce video output as ASCII art.
- VLC media player can play high definition recordings of D-VHS tapes duplicated to a computer using CapDVHS.exe. This offers another way to archive all D-VHS tapes with the DRM copy freely tag.
- Through a simple FireWire connection from cable boxes to computers, VLC streams live unencrypted content to a monitor or HDTV.
- On Microsoft Windows, VLC also supports the Direct Media Object (DMO) framework and can therefore make use of some third-party DLLs.
UDP/RTP unicast or multicast, HTTP, FTP, MMS, DVDs, VCD, SVCD, CD Audio, DVB (Only Linux), Video acquisition (via V4l and DirectShow), RSS/Atom Feeds, and from files stored on your computer.
3gp, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, MP4, NUT, Ogg, OGM, Wav, MPEG-2 (ES,PS,TS,PVA,MP3), AIFF, Raw audio, Raw DV, FLAC
Cinepak, DV, H.263, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, HuffYUV, Indeo 3, MJPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2, RealVideo, Sorenson, Theora, VC-1, VP5, VP6, WMV
DVD, SVCD, DVB, OGM, Substation Alpha, Advanced Substation Alpha, MPEG-4 Timed Text, Text files, Vobsub, MPL2 , Teletext
AAC, AC3, ALAC, AMR, DTS, DV Audio, FLAC, MACE, MP3, QDM2/QDMC, RealAudio, Shorten, Speex, Vorbis, WMA
Output formats for streaming/encoding
VLC can transcode into several formats depending on the operating system.
ASF, AVI, FLV, MP4, Ogg, Wav, MPEG-2 (ES, PS, TS, PVA, MP3), MPJPEG, FLAC
H.263, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MJPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2, VP5, VP6, Theora, RealVideo, DV
AAC, AC3, DV Audio, FLAC, MP3 , Speex, Vorbis
UDP, HTTP, RTP, MMS, File
How to get it:
This is available as a direct download. No crack needed coz it's free.
Get VLC player 0.8.6b Final: